When is the Best Time to Take Enzymes?
Even the healthiest eaters may experience occasional bloating or upset stomach after a meal, which is why many of us reach for a digestive enzyme supplement to support the digestive process and help break down the foods we eat more completely.* One of the questions we hear often at Renew Life® is When is the best time to take enzymes? Here is what our team of experts had to say:
Aim to take enzymes before or with meals. It is best to take them before so they can get to the small intestine where the majority of digestion occurs. However, often people report forgetting to take their enzymes before meals, so don’t worry if you take them after.
Did You Know…?
- Enzymes play an important role in every function in the human body. The protein-based substances are involved in digestion, breathing, kidney and liver function, reproduction, elimination, and more.
- Enzymes help with nutrient absorption.* They help break down foods in the digestive tract by breaking apart the bonds that hold nutrients together—nutrients that will be absorbed so the body can use them for energy and other important functions.*
- Different types of enzymes work with different types of foods. Proteins, fats, and carbohydrates are the most basic foods the body breaks down and absorbs; the enzymes protease, lipase, and amylase are made by the body for this purpose.
- Enzyme production decreases with age. As we age, our bodies produce less protease, lipase, and amylase, which means digestion of protein, fats, and carbohydrates may be impaired as we get older.
- Kids benefit from enzymes too!* Taken with meals, enzymes are great way to support digestive health and help little tummies break down a broad range of foods.*