Food Guidelines while Cleansing – Part 2 of 2: Recommended Foods for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and More
Renew Life® herbal cleansing programs help re-establish digestive health and promote regular elimination, but incorporating a wholesome diet while you cleanse is recommended.* The following is a list of food guidelines to help you get the most out of your next cleansing program.
Foods to Emphasize while Cleansing
- Live Foods: Live foods support the body by providing more enzymes and nutrients that may be missing from boxed and pre-packaged foods. Good choices include raw, organic fruits and vegetables (veggies may also be lightly steamed), as well as fermented foods that contain beneficial probiotic cultures. These include plain yogurt, plain kefir (a fermented milk beverage), miso and tempeh. Buy organic when possible, and always wash your fruits and vegetables well. You may also want to supplement with a daily probiotic.
- Lean Proteins: Opt for lean protein sources such as chicken, turkey, beef, game meats, fish, tofu, tempeh, hummus, eggs, nuts, seeds, dairy and quality protein shakes. Buy organic, natural or free-range when possible.
- Grains: Grain sources such as millet, buckwheat, khorasan wheat, amaranth, quinoa, spelt, teff, rye, basmati rice, kamut, wild rice and brown rice provide an excellent source of fiber while cleansing. (Khorasan wheat, spelt, rye and kamut are ‘cousins’ of wheat and may contain gluten). Renew Life also makes several high fiber supplements.
- Healthy Fats: These include avocado, olives, walnuts, almonds, pecans, flaxseeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sardines, salmon, coconut and coconut milk.
- Water, Water, Water: Drinking plenty of water is essential during cleansing. A good rule of thumb is to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water every day. Choose purified, spring or filtered water if possible.
Continue reading in Part 2 in our Food Guidelines while Cleansing blog series: Recommended Foods for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and More.
Consult your health care professional before making dietary changes or using Renew Life products, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, diabetic, taking medication, have a medical condition or are beginning a health or weight control program. These guidelines are not recommended or supported for those under age 18.